The ‘Twipop General’, Darlington Kwasi Agyekum, popularly known as ‘D Cryme’ says unless the proposed 80% Ghanaian music airplay is passed into a law, enforcing it will be close to impossible.
In an interview on Happy FM’s Ayekoo After Drive show with DJ Advicer, he stated that, “Nigeria, Uganda, Botswana, America, UK are all foreign so they all fall under the 20%. The remaining 80% is for our country. Let me say this me, I am 101/100% in support of this, but our talk will be in vain if it is not passed as a law.”
He added that, “If it’s passed as a law, it will be enforced, just like knowing that you will be arrested by the police if you don’t have a driver’s license. The law is there to govern us; it is not there to suffocate us. It is there to put us in check when we are drifting away from the right path.”
The ‘kill me shy’ hitmaker indicated that using the various forms of media to advertise this initiative is not enough.
“Until it’s passed as a law we will go round saying it on radios, doing artworks, creating hastags, mounting canopies or banners to make noise about it but it won’t make a difference. It goes beyond social media,” he said.
“If we don’t act fast on it, the next generations will suffer the same fate we are suffering now,” he cautioned.
The recent experience from NAM 1’s Menzgold/Zylofon Media launch in Nigeria where ‘A list’ artistes from Ghana were given a cold reception during their performances has awoken Ghanaians to campaign for an 80% airplay of Ghanaian music.
By: Susan Amoako Agyemang