The President, His Excellency John Dramani Mahama on Tuesday night night officially inaugurated an ultra-modern sports stadium christened the Trust Sports Emporium in Bukom.
The stadium also has a 10-lane Olympic size swimming pool, a restaurant, a nine unit three storey JHS and SHS school for needy students with huge potential in sports and a 20-seater sanitary facility.
According to President Mahama, the absence of quality sports infrastructure had over the years taken a toll on the performance of Ghanaian sportsmen and sportswomen.
He said the construction of the Trust Sports Emporium is in fulfillment of his pledge to provide adequate and quality sports infrastructure across every region in the country.
President Mahama promised to fulfill his vision to build first class stadia in five regions if his mandate is renewed at the December 7 polls.
He added that the Trust Sports Emporium will be run commercially to offset the construction cost.
In recognition of their efforts, the President handed-out plaques to seven of Ghana’s world boxing champions.
Among those who received the awards were David Kotei Poison, Azumah Nelson, Ike Bazooka Quartey, Alfred Quartey, Joseph Agbeko and Joshua Clottey.
The Director General of SSNIT, Mr Ernest Thompson, in his address disclosed that his outfit has a 60% shareholding in the facility while ETC Polska has the remaining 40% stake.