Vice President, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has disclosed that his decision to enter into active politics was influenced by the late Alhaji Aliu Mahama.
He revealed his admiration for Alhaji Aliu Mahama who he says has had an enormous impact on his life in a Facebook post, Thursday.
Alhaji Aliu Mahama who was the Vice President of Ghana under Former President Kufuor from 2001-2009 passed on in 2012 after losing the battle to illness.
Paying a glowing tribute to Alhaji Aliu Mahama to mark 5 years of his demise, Dr Bawumia said the Former Vice President was an inspiration.
I celebrate H.E Alhaji Aliu Mahama, Vice President under H.E. John Agyekum Kufuor, on the 5th anniversary of his call to glory, for his enormous impact on me as a person and the nation as a whole. I did not only look up to him, but I considered greatly the supportive role he played to make the Kufuor administration a success.
I am constantly minded by the enormous part he played in my consideration to become a politician when H.E Nana Addo Dankwa called on me.
As we celebrate you this day, I pray for a restful place in Allah’s bosom for you, and the wisdom to follow your examples and better our nation and the world at large
Rest well Alhaji.
Programme of activities marking the 5th-anniversary celebration Aliu Mahama Foundation to the following events in the celebration of the 5th Anniversary.
1. Adua (special Muslim prayers) – 16th November – 10 am at his residence at Cantonments switchback road
2. Fundraising and launching of Art Exhibition – 16th November – 5:30 pm at International Conference Centre
3. Clean and Greening Kumasi, the legacy of Aliu Mahama and soup kitchen at Kumasi – 25th November
4. Memorial lecture – 6th December at 10 am – International Conference Centre
5. Youth Forum on the theme “Greater discipline, the Legacy of Aliu Mahama” – 8th December – UDS Tamale campus
5. Renaming of Tamale Sports Stadium – 10th December – Tamale