A patient has been left badly burnt after she farted during surgery and caused a laser to burst into flames.
She was left screaming in agony after the fire burnt most of her body, waist and legs, according to a report into the incident.
The horrifying event happened on April 15, 2016 at the hospital in the Japanese capital.
It has just come to light this week after a committee of external experts examined the case.
The report also mentioned that no flammable materials were in the operation room at the time of the surgery and that the equipment for the operation was functioning normally.
It concluded: “When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire.”
The Tokyo Medical University Hospital is an acute care facility that claims to be the only facility in Japan to carry out surgery using robots.